- Builds critical thinking and analysis skills
(necessary no matter what your post high school plans are...)
- Helps you gain an understanding of the world around you & beyond
- Improves reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills
- Prepares students for active citizenship
- It's fun!
Social Studies Requirements
- No requirements, but elective are strongly suggested especially if student is interested in 4 year honors at graduation
- World History is required for graduation
- AP World History is an option
- US History is required for graduation
- College US History is an option (Dual Enrollment with Kirkwood CC)
- Government and Economics are required for graduation
- Past offerings have included AP Government, AP Micro and Macro Economics, and online course
- ELECTIVES ARE ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA!
Social Studies Electives
Behavioral Sciences 1 & 2 (one semester each)
- BS1 is similar to an introduction to psychology course
- BS2 is similar to a sociology course
AP Human Geography (year long)
See below for more information
Geography (one semester)
- Dual-enrollment course through Kirkwood; weighted grade & college credit
- Psych 101
Current World Issues (one semester)
- Course content is built around current events, with an emphasis on geography, government, and world history.
More on AP Human Geography
Looks at these questions - Where is it located? Why is it there? Why do we care?
- So what do we study? Cultures, Languages, Religions, Population and Migration, Cities, Countries, Farms, Industries
- Critical thinking, reading/note taking, and academic writing emphasized
- Year-long elective Social Studies course
- Students do NOT have to take the AP Exam
- Prepares students for AP World History as Sophomores